- Citizens expect mission to move beyond digital and enable grass root entrepreneurship.
- Corruption, Inefficiencies are top barriers to entrepreneurship and must be addressed.
- Enabling ecosystems needed in cities to drive and enable starting up easily.
New Delhi, Delhi , India
LocalCircles (www.localcircles.com), India’s leading citizen engagement platform today announced the results of its survey and discussion on Start-Ups and Entrepreneurship. With over 14,000 citizens responding to each question and over 35,000 unique citizens participating in the polls and discussions, it provides insights into current challenges as well a blue print for the key areas that the mission must focus on to enable Start Ups and Entrepreneurship in India.
A number of questions were asked to determine what is needed in this mission. While the normal association of start-ups is with digital companies only, almost 98 % citizens want that the definition of start-ups should be expanded to include grass roots entrepreneurship.
Moreover, while capital is perceived as the biggest barrier to entrepreneurship citizens do not see it as such, with only 14 % voting on it as a barrier. 59 % of the citizens believe that it is the inefficiencies, corruption, delays and bad business practices that are the biggest barriers to entrepreneurship. 13 % believe that lack of a supportive ecosystem was a barrier while 13% believed registration and taxation related processes and keeping up with them was a barrier. In response to another question, citizens also outlined a clear need for a local start-up ecosystem in their town.
In addition to the survey, an in-depth discussion was held on expectations from the Start-up India mission. Below are the key findings from this discussion :
Expectations from Start-up India Mission
- This initiative should solve a number of common issues that start-ups have
- It should create national and local city level frameworks that act as a one stop help for all information/registration/clearance for the start-ups
- This initiative should enable entrepreneurs to easily report inefficiencies and corruption and make the whole business ecosystem more effective
- It should help in removing poverty to a great extent in urban and semi urban areas by creating lots of jobs
- It should encourage people to innovate and start their own business
- It should help people to easily get feedback on how they should go about building a business in their sector and their market
- It should enable start-ups to easily find partners, vendors, initial pilot customers etc.
- It should touch and enable the grass root entrepreneur and not just the start-ups that need millions of dollars of funding
- It should make access to funding and loans much easier and faster than it is today
- It should enable start-ups with protection mechanism against bad business practices by private and Government organizations like payment delays or defaults
- Online and On-ground Communities for start-ups and entrepreneurship should be established in every town of India
- The mission should enable start-ups with access to credit facilities at cheaper rates
- CGTMSE scheme should not just be advertised outside banks but should exist in practicality
- Entrepreneurs setting up businesses in remote and undeveloped locations should be given tax sops and other incentives
- The mission should provide a list of Industrial/IT sites available for start-ups in every state along with benefits offered.
- It should create entrepreneur service centre in every town of India thereby enabling single window clearance, registration and filing for entrepreneurs
- It should provide a 2 year tax and filing moratorium from business start-up /registration date to all entrepreneurs.
All data and poll results are an exclusive copyright of localcircles.com so please give due credit.